So, you have decided to make a mobile application, important and necessary. Before the immediate release you are wondering: How to tell potential buyers?
In this article, we will look at the basic strategies for promoting various types of applications that should be worked out before the app is released in the store. The approach to advertising the application depends on what method of its monetization you have chosen.
Application with paid installation
You have made a quality application with unique functionality, and it is paid. Now it is important to be recognized and appreciated. To do this, there are several tools that work best in a bundle.
1. Application Reviews. We recommend starting with sites that are engaged in application reviews. You can contact the editors and authors of the reviews to tell them about themselves.
2. The system Share. The second important point is the thought-out system Share Application. This can be a discount on the app for friends or bonuses for posting links in social networks.
3. Start with the free app. Another option to distribute the paid application-at the start to make it free and warn that through time it will be paid. So you can build a user base, some of which will eventually buy the application, some of which-will tell about it.
4. Paid promotion. Here you have a wide range of tools: Google Adwords, Yandex. Direct, Facebook, Instagram, Mytarget and other ad networks. In addition, you should not forget about PR-you can publish an article about the application in the media or run a video in Youtube.
5. Community Building. Create an application community in social networks. This will help make it better known and collect feedback from the current users of the application.
Free Application with limited functionality
The free application is often monetized by purchasing additional functionality. In this case, the method of movement will be fundamentally different.
In advertising you need to demonstrate the use of all the features of the application, not only free. When the user is interested in the full functionality of the application, it downloads it. Later, faced with the limitations of the free version, he or she will continue to use the free version, or withdraw or buy an add-on. The paid advertising tools listed above are also suitable.
Free app with ads inside
For free apps that monetize by ad impressions, because it’s unprofitable.
1. Work on organic traffic. For such applications, the main promotion tool is to raise the position in the issue Google Play And Appstore. The better the position – the more installations.
2. Additional Promotion option – other applications of the same developer. If you already have one popular app, this will have a good effect on the following: And the shop will take it Warmer And you will be able to distribute the new application among the old users. The name of the developer affects the ranking. This can be used as a strategy – we “rocking” one application and it facilitates the promotion of another.
App Store Polestar
The complex of works aimed at raising the position of the application is called App Store Optimization (ASO). How well the store will treat your app is affected by internal optimization (name, description, keywords), number of installations, and user feedback.
The preliminary stage of ASO is in the analysis of competitors: in what categories their applications are placed, what texts they use in names and descriptions, on what search queries are oriented. You need to analyze how much traffic you will get if you use the same keywords.
ASO conventionally divided into two parts-technical and visual.
Technical ASO represents a kind of analogue of search engine optimization application in App Store. It includes several factors:
- Title Description Key words; Number of downloads; Reviews/rating.
Visual ASO is the work with the name of the application, its icon, screenshots and video. All of them affect the user’s decision to install the application, so the most successful options are selected using a/b-testing.
Several variants of the name, description and visual elements are developed for testing. Testing can be performed on Landing, simulating the App Store page to attract traffic through advertising. As a result, the choices that show the highest conversion rate from Page view to application installation are selected.
ASO should be carried out on a permanent basis. So it is possible to take into account various changes of the market-occurrence of competitors, change of demand for applications, trends, etc.
The effectiveness of ASO is measured by the positions of the application in the category and the overall Keyword positions and the number of organic plants.
To avoid frequent errors in the promotion of applications, it is enough to follow several proven practices.
1. Work closely with the icon and the name. One of the most important factors in deciding how to install an application is its name and icon. Therefore, they should simply bring the essence of the application and its benefits.
2. Calculate the media in advance. Before you start to promote the app, you need to calculate the budget for advertising. To do this, answer a few questions:
- How many installations you want to receive (or other targeted actions, such as purchases in an application); Deadlines for achieving goals; Cost of one installation (CPI – Cost Per Install) or the target action (CPA – Cost Per Action).
To predict the cost of installation, we can look at the competitors-how much they pay or paid earlier for installation in CPI-networks. To do this, we look Offers Competitors in such networks. Another option is data on the cost of attracting users from open sources/cases and studies in the context of countries and types of applications.
3. Make a KPI list. Typically, the performance analysis of applications considers the following indicators:
- CPICost Per Install) – The cost of installation; ARPUAverage Revenue Per User), LTV (Lifetime Value) – The profit that 1 user brings; Retention Rate – The level of return of users in the application; CHURN Rate – Indicator of customer churn; DAU, WAU, MAU-the average number of unique active users who were in the application in the context of the day/week/month; Conversion Rate – Percentage of users who have committed the target action in the application; Session Length Is the amount of time spent in the application.
4. Change creatives. In the sector Mobile The ads burn out much faster. Fight for the attention of your potential user, build hypotheses and check them in practice.
5. Use different channels. You should not spend the entire advertising budget on one tool. Try several different advertising options, test-find the best solution.
6. Set up the dimension. Take time and set up quality analytics. It is important not only to consider the effectiveness of advertising Campaigns But also the behavior of the users they brought.